Posted to rec.food.cooking
maxine in ri

Default Why do hard boiled eggs sometimes peel funny?

axlq wrote:
> In article >,
> jake > wrote:
> >I have read that it helps to add a splash of vinegar to the boiling
> >water. But I haven't tried that method yet.

> Actually, that might work. The vinegar causes the egg white to
> bind to itself and coagulate, possibly away from the shell membrane.

Actually, that might solve your shell problem entirely if you use too
much vinegar<g>. It won't do anything to the whites of the eggs you
are hard boiling, but the shell will leach away and become thinner.
This might be a good thing if you can get under the membrane just
beneath the shell. Otherwise, you'll be adding calcium to your diet
since the thinned shell is almost impossible to entirely get rid of.

maxine in ri