Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
dh@.

Default does anyone else identify with this?

On 15 Jan 2006 16:52:27 -0800, "Dave" > wrote:

>dh@. wrote:

>> >We do not eat meat for the same reason cited by you. We eat eggs from
>> >cage free chickens

>> Then you are doing something to contribute to decent lives for
>> chickens, unlike if you didn't contribute to any.

>Animals don't need humans in order to lead decent lives.

Billions of them do.

>It is true
>that our desire to eat eggs causes more chickens to exist but these
>chickens still require resources that could instead be utilized by
>other animals. Farm animals are no more alive than wild animals.

Explain exactly which wild animals you think we should provide life for
instead of livestock, and why we should do it.

>> >and drink some organic milk

>> What's that?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...Search&met a=

That was useless. If you think it would be worth any more effort, go
to http://tinyurl.com/ and make a URL that you can post entirely.

>> >but mostly soy milk.

>> · From the life and death of a thousand pound grass raised
>> steer and whatever he happens to kill during his life, people
>> get over 500 pounds of human consumable meat...that's well
>> over 500 servings of meat. From a grass raised dairy cow people
>> get thousands of dairy servings. Due to the influence of farm
>> machinery, and *icides, and in the case of rice the flooding and
>> draining of fields, one serving of soy or rice based product is
>> likely to involve more animal deaths than hundreds of servings
>> derived from grass raised animals.

>Where do these "figures" come from? It is probably true that 1
>serving of rice or soy grown using the standard commerical methods
>results in more animal deaths than 1 serving of beef or milk
>produced in the ideal way but I think you are massively exagerating the
>difference.

Then explain how cattle eating grass can contribute to anywhere
near as many deaths as farm machinery, flooding, draining, herbicides,
pesticides, etc.

>> Grass raised animal products
>> contribute to fewer wildlife deaths, better wildlife habitat,

>This claim seems plausible but beef also uses more land
>per serving than soy or rice.
>
>> and
>> better lives for livestock than soy or rice products. ·
>>
>> >As
>> >you see, there are different degrees and paths to vegetarianism but the
>> >common thread is our compassion for animals

>> Your consumption of cage free eggs is NOT veg*nism,

>Yes it is.

If so, then so is my consumption of chicken and turkey. I have pointed
out in the past that I'm a vegan who eats chicken, beef, turkey, fish, and
pork. If you're a veg*n who eats eggs, then I'm a vegan who eats meat.

>> but
>> it DOES contribute to decent lives for chickens. What I consider
>> to be an extremely legitimate complaint against "ethical" veg*ns,
>> is that they NEVER appear to care about such things.

>Without farming there would be no farmed animals not because
>there would be no animals but because there would be no
>animal farming.

See? I do even though you can't, but the fact that you changed
the subject is proof that you don't care as I pointed out. None of
you ever do, and probably none of you ever will.

>> >and our revulsion with the
>> >cruel and unsanitary practices of meat industry. Do not have your
>> >problems with our friends who are not vegetarians. Maybe you have the
>> >wrong kind of friends. It is no business of your co-workers how you
>> >live and you do not need to discuss anything with them, unless they ask
>> >you in a respectful manner. Most people who are not vegetarians are not
>> >meat industry shills.

>> LOL!!! I seriously doubt the "meat industry" pays anyone to post to
>> ngs. I've tried to get some chicken producers to stick up for themselves,
>> but they don't have any interest in all that. It would sure be nice if there
>> were some though. Now on the other side: I could believe there are some
>> veg*ns who are stupid enough to give people like Goo and Dutch something
>> for the crap they contribute, but I don't believe any meat producers are doing
>> anything like that.

>Why would veg*ns want to pay those people to argue the case against
>veg*nism?

As yet the Goo's opposition(s) to veg*nism are such an elusive myth that
no one has ever been able to provide any example(s) of them. Not even Goo
or Dutch. No example has ever been presented when it was asked for, but
I'll ask again: If you can provide any example(s) of Goo's and/or Dutch's
opposition(s) to veg*nism, please do so.