Posted to rec.food.baking
Eric Jorgensen

Default Fibrament Stone Questions?

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:25:24 -0700
(Charlie Sorsby) wrote:

> In article >,
> Kenneth > wrote:
> [...]
> = The alternative that I would suggest is a slab of natural
> = stone. I had a piece of soapstone (about 2" thick) in the
> = bottom of my oven for nearly 20 years.
> =
> = It held an amazing amount of heat, and really improved my
> = baking.
> =
> = The slab cost me just a few dollars...
>
> I've been wanting something like that for years. Where did you get
> your soapstone slab?
>
> Is there an on-line or mail-order source? Or a local source who
> may be willing to ship to me?

Nearly any developing city has at least one place within 20 miles or so
that sells stone for construction uses. Check the yellowpages, call around.

You'll want to make sure it's really dry the same way that fibrament
stones are prepped. 100 degrees for an hour, increase oven temperature 100
degrees every hour until you leave the oven at it's top temperature for two
hours. Then turn off the oven and let it cool completely.

If you go straight to 500 degrees when you get it home, and there's
moisture trapped in the stone, it may break. After you've dried it out, it
shouldn't be any worry in normal use.