Posted to rec.food.cooking
Gabby

Default Rubbermaid lids get sticky

"Pylls, Barry" > wrote in message
> Gabby wrote:
>> "-L." > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>>> Don't they have a lifetime guarantee? Just turn them in for
>>> replacement.

>> They guarantee replacement for "chipping, cracking, breaking or
>> peeling" not 'stickiness'. When I've run into this stickiness,
>> I've used a paste of baking soda on a damp cloth and it's taken care
>> of it.

> I wonder what the sticky film is, though. I store the tupperware with
> plastic tubs formerly used for margarine, and the tubs & their lids
> don't get sticky. I've heard that plastics sometimes secrete a film
> when they age. If it has reached that point, perhaps I will toss it
> rather than having the secretion make its way into my food.

I've had some of my Tupperware for over 20 years and have not experienced it
much. I've found though that it is usually the items kept in high cupboards
& not used much. They don't get washed as often, for obvious reasons, and
tend to accumulate whatever grease is in the air. My worst experience with
the phenomenon was with Frig-o seal containers. Again, the baking soda
paste worked well.

Gabby