Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene

Default Why do hard boiled eggs sometimes peel funny?

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 00:01:53 GMT, "***** charles"
> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Why do some eggs after being hard boiled peel real eazy and
>some other eggs peel off in small little clumps. What is the
>correct proceedure for peeling eggs? If one uses the correct
>proceedure, does that gaurantee an easy peeling egg?

I don't guarantee anything, but this is my method, and I have never
had a single problem peeling eggs.

1) Use eggs that are at least a week old. Fresh eggs don't peel well.

2) Set the eggs in a pan of cold water, so the water covers them.

3) Turn the burner on high and bring the water to a boil.

4) Cover the pot and *take the pot off the heat*.

5) Let the eggs sit for exactly twelve minutes.

6) Run under cold water until cool enough to handle.

7) Crack gently all around the shell and start peeling at the big end,
where the air bubble is -- if you get under the air bubble, sometimes
the whole peel will come off in one piece.

serene