Posted to rec.food.baking
chembake

Default cake decorating questions

chembake wrote:
>>Dave----------------------------------------------- Response: Wouldn't
>>it be nice if Rose Levy Beranbaum got involved with this NG.

> That would be interesting!...

> I had been eagerly awaiting this so called

>"so called" is an insult. It sounds like a dismissive sneer in speech
>and about the same in writing. The simple fact is that R.L.Beranbaum is
>a bona fide authority and has been one for a good, long time. Her books
>and articles are all the credentials she or anyone would need.

Insult...? not IMO...maybe for neophytes....in the same way as bible
bashers..?
For sure
Amateurs would be struck with awe as they regard these cookery authors
as kitchen demigods ?......but not me...
In fact
Never I own books from any these people.... ..... Rather I just
browse them out of curiosity.<grin>.in the library....
It jus that I am not a collector of 'coffee table books'....just as
many of the books of the authors your mentioned belong...

Regarding Biranbaum....IMO...I don't find any of her books
interesting....nor informative...and I had worked in the bakery and
food research lab.. for years without a need for them.........much to
the surprise of some food technologist in the same line who have a
copy of her books in their book shelves........

>Wayne Gisslen is probably the most authoritative source about
>professional, quantity baking and professional cooking writing today.

I agree in that point....Wayne is one of the respectable.... as his
writings relates what is really being used in the baking industry....
In fact a lot of other bakers own his book...and I recommend it to many
bakery trainee and apprentices .
> Glazer,

>I assume you mean Maggie Glezer. Good writer, good information. Thorough.

This Glazier lady is an AIB graduate....but for me she is just a good
writer....not a good baker...Being an alumni of the American Institute
of Baking...these people are used in making breads with
machines.....not with their hands.
The focus more in the science of baking and not in the skill of
becoming a good craft baker in the same tradition of European trained
bakers.
If you look closely at the pictures of that book Artisan Baking across
America....her dough molding skills is amateurish like that of a bakery
trainee .<grin>... I was hoping hope its not her doing the dough
handling........but somebody else...

But the recipes are interesting but she tends to oversimplify it to the
point for the sake of amateur and home bakers...and partly alienating
the institutional bakers.

> Reinhart,

>Peter Reinhart in conversation is absolutely one of the most
>authoritative bread bakers I've ever met. His books are very accessible.

This is a must for home bakers....but practicing bakers in the industry
look at his books with ....disinterests...Its not worth
owning<grin>...unless you are newbie in bakery trade?
..Another thing is he try to explain bakery science in an amateurish
manner.
For me he is overrated as a baker.....but just a smart fellow( IIRC
his background was photography ) that is why he really know how to
present his limited skills in a colorful book at the right time.......

> Hamelman,

>Practical information and a bit of science from a man who works for a
>flour company. He knows what he's talking about.

Now this guy I respect.....he is really a qualified baker like Gesslen
and he knows what he is talking about.. and at the same time knows
how to do it properly....
It is not surprising....I know many practicing bakers have his popular
book ...and continuously refer them for some pointers...

When I saw the name, I smiled and thought of this
<http://www.superseventies.com/ssdavidgates.html>

>Add Carol Field---

This lady is just a tourist who visited many Italian bakeries and wrote
a book about it......
Nothing spectacular....although many home bakes regard her as an
authority in Italian baking LOL....

I had more respect for the author of Il Fornaio as he is really a
competent Italian baker...
But just like many good bakers....their writing and presentation skills
to the reading public is not as good as the other popular authors

>, Bernard Dupaigne (great name for a baker), Nick
>Malgieri, Bernard Clayton...

I am not familiar with Dupaigne....Heard about Malgiere but was unable
to browse his books.....Clayton...IMO *******ized French baking...

I would rather read Bilheux et al......Special and Decorative
Bread...its an authoritative book with such competent and detailed
presentation........that is treasured by many bakers .

>And who could forget Betty Crocker and Aunt Jemima... <LOL>

Betty Crocker is just a registered trademark for products from General
Mills in the same line as Pillsbury and indeed they have cookbooks that
suit best for home bakers ....and cooks
Aunt Jemina.../..?...I have not seen if she had some cookery writings .

> etc.. would take part<
> grin>....
> But its likely be just a pipe dream.....

>Yes. I suspect so. None of them with their backgrounds would put up with
>being attacked and demeaned. They don't have to. They have nothing to
>prove and nothing to defend. They're already known and they've proven
>that they know how to bake.

If these people live up to their reputation....they should not be
onion skinned.. . if they know really where they belong.......they have
nothing to fear

Its not about having something to prove but any feedbacks from various
quarters would be a great help in improving the materials of their
cookery books..
I'm certain if they are not hollow people but really live to their
name
They will certainly appreciate any criticism as that will improve the
contents of their future cookery literatures.

>They're not food scientists. For that Shirley Corriher or Harold McGee
>would be good liaisons between the academic understandings and the
>practical kitchen. Their books are masterworks.

Again Shirley Corriher...IMO is just like one of the guys......who is a
notch higher than ordinary cookery authors for their technical
competence....
I am not familiar with Harold McGee.

When I saw the name, I smiled and thought of this
<http://www.superseventies.com/ssdavidgates.html>

David?....not this guy but Elizabeth David....I mean...who is another
well known cookery author ...that is often qouted by cookery
enthusiast.....