Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Randall Nortman

Default sourdough experiment

On 2006-01-12, Will > wrote:
[...]
> I keep thinking that refrigerator storage is a problem for LB's. I
> don't have a work-around other than trying harder to front load acid
> during the sponge ferment. See the Wing/Gaenzle pages on Samartha's
> site. Gaenzle gets into some interesting areas with ionic strength and
> inoculation ratios.

[...]

I have come to this conclusion as well, not so much as concerns
retarding the mixed dough, but with respect to starter storage. I
have quit storing my starter in the refrigerator. I feed it every
morning, 20g rye flour and 20g water, whether I bake with it or not.
That comes out to 16lbs of flour per year (assuming I never bake and
it is all wasted, which isn't true). I buy organic rye berries in
25-lb bags for for $5.46, so that comes to an annual cost of about
$3.50 to maintain my starter this way. (Plus about 1 minute per day,
which is 6 hours per year, which would well exceed the flour cost if I
were to bill myself at a reasonable hourly rate, but still isn't
really such a big deal.)

I have only been doing this for about a month now, actually, but I
think there is a difference in my starter. It is subtle, but perhaps
it will become more pronounced as the mix of critters changes. Even
if not, it is worth it to shave off a few hours from the baking
process in those cases where I need to bake without having planned
ahead. (My wife is fond of informing me that she'd like fresh bread
for some social event or another on short notice. In such situations,
the fact that I always have active, bubbling starter on the counter is
a welcome help.)

If I ever get around to maintaining more than one starter culture (and
I am tempted to try the Poilne/Acme starters which Kenneth has
generously offered), then I may need to reconsider my strategy, as
keeping several starters continuously refreshed takes more flour,
time, and counter space, plus increased risk of cross-contamination.

--
Randall