Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

Default Fibrament Stone Questions?

"Mike Avery" > wrote in message
news:mailman.2.1136992435.15248.rec.food.baking@ma il.otherwhen.com...
On 1/10/06, QX > wrote:

> I have heard from a friend that quarry tiles may contain lead, and you
> should ensure that they are lead free before cooking on them. Is this
> true? I know there are test kits available to test for lead in painted
> surfaces etc. Should I be concerned about lead, or is the concept an
> urban legend. (not knowing what is used to make the tiles).

I have heard this several times, and have searched extensively on the 'net.
I have found *NO* evidence to suggest that unglazed quarry tiles contain
lead. I have repeatedly followed that statement on-line with a request that
anyone who has any evidence to the contrary contact me. So far, no one has
come forward.

A quick note on lead and glazes. Some glazes contain lead. If a lead
containing glaze is completely fired, the lead is inert and will not
contaminate foods or drink, at least as long as the glaze is unchipped and
unbroken. However, if the lead containing glaze is not fired correctly, the
lead in the glaze can be leached out. Tiles made in third world nations -
that is, the cheap tiles in import houses, sold from mysterious vans on the
side of the road, or purchased just across the border - are the ones most
often poorly fired.

You can buy inexpensive lead testing kits that can test for lead. I guess
that if someone is in doubt they can always do the test.