Posted to rec.food.baking
Eric Jorgensen

Default Fibrament Stone Questions?

On 10 Jan 2006 09:19:38 -0800
"Todd K." > wrote:

> If my old stone handled the gas grill OK, why wouldn't a Fibrament?

Your old stone was probably ceramic (and high in bentonite) - fibrament
is more of a cement. It would be damaged by direct flame.

> If the Fibrament really does need something between it and the grill
> surface, why wouldn't a cheap cookie sheet or some unglazed quarry
> tiles suffice for this?

Yeah, it just needs a heat spreader that will block the flames. Quarry
tiles may leave too much of a gap and increase the preheat time
excessively. Or it might work. Send 'em an email, it's a small company and
they'll get right back to you.

> Slightly OT: If I decide to just use the quarry tiles (with no
> Fibrament stone), do I bake directly on them or put a baking sheet on
> the tiles?

Unglazed quarry tiles are fine to bake right on top of. In a normal
sized oven, five 8" tiles with one of them cut squarely in half will fill
the rack nicely. Cut it against the grain of the ridges on the underside of
the tile.

In my experience, for pizza, my quarry tiles didn't pack quite the same
thermal punch that a rocket hot fibrament slab does. Neither do other
ceramics I've tried.