Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW

Default Wine & Cheese

Well, for a light red (and I'm not sure I'd put Dolcetto in that
category- some are quite tannic- malbecs, too) I'd personally probably
go for something not too sharp and definitely not runny. Think young
Gouda, Edam, Morbier, Emmenthaler, Manchego. A bigger red might be
better for a sharper/older cheese like Hoch Ybrig, 5 year old Gouda,
Parmigiano Reggiano, or a good aged cheddar.

Dry white is a pretty big category. The match of Loire Sauvignon Blanc
and chevre is pretty classic. I think dry Riesling and Munster is also
a good match. I enjoyed Citeaux with white Burgundy this weekend.

Though I'm on record as liking Epoisses and red Burgundy, in general I
find
whites do better (or often, just less badly) with any cheese on the
stinky or
runny end of the spectrum.