Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick

Default Cornish Hens?

On 7-Jan-2006, Harry Demidavicius > wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 23:00:47 GMT, "Brick" >
> wrote:
>

> >On 7-Jan-2006, "Heavy_Smoker" > wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone ever smoked cornish Hens.
> >>
> >> Whilst I was picking up some Ribs, a couple of Cornish Hens
> >> volunteered for dinner. I decided to take them up on it.
> >>
> >> Should I cut them in half like chickens?
> >>
> >> Any suggestions appreciated.
> >>
> >> Smoke on.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Better living through smoking.

> >I haven't done it, but I'd consider it an adequate challenge. I'd
> >spatchcock
> >the birds and smoke roast them at 300 > 350F until nearly done and then
> >finish under the broiler ( or on a hot grill ) to crisp up the skin some.
> >have
> >a pair of vertical racks for birds of that size and that's what I use.
> >Smoke
> >is nice when you get it right. Too little doesn't beat the oven and too
> >much
> >makes dog food.

> Howard, I get crisp skin all the time. I wipe the birds with EVOO and
> rub in Big Jim's 'Palomino' mix. I get all the smoke I need because I
> spatch 'em. I'll post a pic on the 'other side'.
>
> Harry

Harry, as usual, my defective memory has led me astray. I do use the
vertical racks sometimes with good results, but I also spatch' birds
about as often. I'm gonna pirate your EVOO and Palomino mix idea.
I've worn out my appreciation for cajun rub. And since I don't try to
slo cook birds anymore, I don't have a problem with rubber skin. It
don't matter anyway, because us old folks don't eat the skin. (Dammit,
it kills me to throw away the tastiest part of the bird.)

--
Brick(I'm paddling as fast as I can)