Posted to rec.food.equipment
Bob Giel

Default Oven Temperature Standard?

Okay,

While I really do appreciate the technical aspects this thread has taken,
and have no trouble understanding every bit of it, (and then some), that is
not the question posed by my OP and does not help me out even a little bit.

Sure I could probably design a system that would scare us all, but the
questions are what constitutes an acceptable temperature fluctuation for
good quality baking in the first place, and would the tolerance be a
percentage of desired temperature, or an absolute (specific) number of
degrees plus-or-minus?

Obviously, a temperature fluctuation of 189 degree F. when set at 250
degrees is insane. For one thing, temperatures above 212 (boiling water)
would eventually have a sterilizing effect on food, while temperatures
around 100 degrees would incubate bacteria and turn the meal into a
potentially toxic even lethal meal! This is not just a question of
curiosity, inconvenience or wasted food/money, it is a very real potential
health hazard.

Now, if I'm drying meringue for an hour or more, that's one thing, but if I
think I'm cooking something or keeping it at a safe warm setting and it is
breeding microorganisms instead, that is another thing entirely.

So, again, does anybody know what fluctuation is considered acceptable, over
whatever time period for good results, is it a percentage or an absolute,
,and what are the correct values? What do all the oven manufacturers use as
a standard to make sure their product will actually perform? They must have
some kind of measurable standard of fluctuation, if only to avoid law suits
and dead customers!

Thanks again,
Bob
Los Angeles