Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
John Murtari

Default Dandelion wine question

> "miker" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Just wondering how long I have to wait for my dandelion wine to start
>> tasting good.
>>
>> I've read that it takes time, but every time we taste it, I get closer
>> to dumping it. It has always smelled and tasted bitter and nasty. Made
>> it in the summer of 2003 from flowerheads (not just petals) and it is
>> still not clear despite several rackings. Anyway, we kept it despite
>> the fact that I can barely stand the smell, because I've heard that
>> this wine takes a lot of time. Really have my doubts that it will be
>> drinkable, though.

I made some last year from the flowerheads and I think
you are pretty much on the mark -- it has a bouquet of 'weeds'!
I've had mine 7 months and it cleared up nicely, beautiful golden
color (I did not wash the heads first so I got all the pollen).

Finally, I broke down and just started adding sugar
to what I had, more of a 'dandelion liquor?' Much more drinkable.
If you want to see some documentary pictures of the effort I've
enjoyed using a new digital camera, check out:
http://www.murtari.org/hobbies/dandelion_wine.htm

I have seen other web recipes for dandelion wine and
most seem to include other fruit juices and I can understand
why -- to coverup the weed taste! I'd like to hear from anyone
who just used dandelions and came up with something drinkable.

Best regards!

--
John
John Murtari Software Workshop Inc.