Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

Default I'm not satisfied with the breadmaker

"King's Crown" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "Jenn Ridley" > wrote in message
> > Eric Jorgensen > wrote:
> >> The bread machine is a perfect tool for someone who has no interest

in
> >>baking but who insists on having a little round loaf of fresh bread on
> >>demand, along with the associated baking smells. It'd be great for that,
> >>assuming it works reliably.

> > Yanno, I get really annoyed by comments like this. I'm a pretty good
> > baker, if I say so myself. I *can* make my own bread by hand.
> >
> > I have a choice, though. I can make bread by hand twice a week, or I
> > can do the laundry, or make dinner, or make fresh cookies for the
> > kids' lunchboxes. I have shoulder problems, and if I choose to make
> > bread by hand, I cannot do -anything- else that involves shoulder/arm
> > action for about a day.
> >
> > I own a bread machine. I use it 3 or 4 times a week. It makes good
> > bread, by which I mean that it's consistent from loaf to loaf, and
> > *MY KIDS LIKE IT* for their sandwiches. This last point is one of the
> > big reasons I use the machine. It costs a hell of a lot less than the
> > store bread that they will eat, and I don't have to buy 3-4 loaves and
> > keep them in the freezer. (and still have to run out to the store on
> > Sunday so there's bread for Monday's lunchboxes.)
> >
> > I'd rather my family have a home-cooked dinner every night and
> > home-made cookies in their lunches than hand-made bread.
> > Jenn Ridley :

> I'm with you Jenn. I have a bread maker that is going on 15 years old.

It
> makes great bread. I use the dough cycle more often. I also on occasion
> make bread completely by hand. OK I use the KitchenAide mixer and then go
> by hand from then on. A bread machine isn't a magic machine it does take

> little time to get to know it. To find the recipes with the amounts that
> work perfectly for your machine. One does have to spend a little time in
> the beginning of a cycle to make sure the dough is right before one runs

off
> to leave it to do what it does best. That 10-15 minutes of time will save
> me 4 hours once I can leave the machine to make bread. It can really be a
> time saver.

Time must work different where you live. I can make a batch of dough in
about 5 minutes in the FP. After that, it rises without any supervision for
a couple of hours. Then it takes about 5 minutes to make up the final
product. Another hour or so of unsupervised proofing and then into the
oven. So in total I might spend 15 hands-on minutes baking bread. I wish
that I could turn that 15 minutes into four "saved" hours, but honestly I
think you would have to change the rules of physics first.