Posted to rec.food.baking
King's Crown

Default Fan or conventional oven?

"Paul Giverin" > wrote in message
> I've recently bought a new oven to replace my ageing oven which had dodgy
> thermostat and was running so hot that it made baking anything very
> difficult.
>
> I made sure that my new oven had a wide range of functions, particularly
> the ability to turn the fan off because I had read that a fan oven wasn't
> best for baking. So now I can chose to use top and bottom heat or to use
> the "circotherm" fan function.
>
> The question is, is it really better to bake without the fan or are fan
> ovens better for some types of baking?
>
> --
> Paul Giverin
>
> British Jet Engine Website http://www.britjet.co.uk

I just got a convection oven yesterday, so my experince is limited. I have
baked Chocolate Chip cookies and this morning I baked biscuits and having
the fan on has a wonderful affect on keeping the temperature even through
out the oven. I did 3 sheets of cookies at one time and 2 sheets of
biscuits. Watching them all brown at the same time I find facinating. Yes,
I've been baking with my nose pushed up against the glass door. I'm having
fun with my new toy.

Lynne