Posted to rec.food.baking
King's Crown

Default Oven Temperature Fluctuations

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "King's Crown" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> >

>> I've been keeping an thermometer in my oven for the past year, because I

> too
>> was having oven problems. I have a double oven and switched to the
>> bottom
>> oven when the top one got too crazy. So, when it was working properly it
>> varied by 25F +/- the set point like Vox had suggested. This was

> acceptable
>> and baked things properly. When it started varying 50F+/- things were
>> not
>> baked properly. I am currently setting here at home waiting for my new
>> double oven to be delivered and installed. The old one was so out of
>> date
>> it wasn't worth the money they wanted to repair it.

> What oven did you get?

I got a GE Profile. I've baked several things already and I'm very
impressed with the convection oven. I baked 3 sheets of chocolate chip
cookies at the same time and every sheet was equally cooked. I've never
been able to cook more than one and have it cook properly. I've done 2
sheets and switched them halfway and they are never quite right. I baked 2
loads of 3 sheets of cookies and had thirty-six 3 1/2 inch cookies done in
under 30 minutes. That would have taken me over an hour in the past.

I'm amazed that the oven takes up about 2 inches less room on the outside of
the cabinet it's in and yet the ovens are bigger on the inside than my
previous ovens. I kept one pan that was too big for the previous ovens. It
was a favorite bread stick pan and I just didn't want to get rid of it. I
put it in the new oven and it clears the sides by about 2 inches.

Lynne