Old 03-01-2006, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Crhoff

Default Synthetic corks

Very interesting. Where they expensive? Does anyone know of an internet
wine site that sells them?

"Ian Anderson" wrote in message
news
zork.com.au
Have a look at this site, out of interest. The site contains some
interesting comparitive oxygen permiability test results between cork,
zork and stelvin closures. I believe the product is becoming available in
USA.

No, I do not work for them. I purchased a small quantity (160) to try on
my last wine as I too am becoming disenchanted with cork. I pushed them
on by hand, having made sure my bottles met the required spec.

The conventional synthetic corks available is Australia are damaged by
the 4 compression blocks in the corker (Italian origin) and so they leak,
stelvin is for the big boys and so the choices are not great.

Regards
Ian

On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 21:25:53 -0500, Crhoff wrote:

Do the synthetic corks that are now being used by many wine manufacturers
seal bottles better the same or worse than real corks. I would think
there
is less of an oxygen ingress.

Thanks,
Crhoff