modom

Default I only eat - uh - normal stuff

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 07:40:32 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>modom wrote:
>>
>> That's what the checker at the "super"market told me yesterday as she
>> tried in vain to look up my veggies in her sku list. I'd presented
>> her with:
>>
>> 3 limes ("Are all of these limes? " Yup. "I'm waiting for somebody
>> to show me a kiwi, and I just thought..." Kiwis are furry. "Oh.")

>You're saying they sell kiwis there and she can't just walk over and
>look at them herself?

That was D's observation, as well. The dear child at the register had
no interest, no curiosity in her work. Arri and others have pointed
out that for her it's just a McJob, which is of course true. But such
an utter disinterest in the products she deals with bodes ill for any
job she might have now or in the future. Not all jobs are McJobs.

I'm drifting off topic here, but who among us hasn't had a crappy job
at one time or another? One of mine was assembling corrugated boxes
in an un-airconditioned steel building one summer in the Dallas area.
I held an industrial sized hot melt gun in my bare hands (amazing what
you can get used to) for hours at a time in 100+ degree heat. How bad
was it? The only other guy in that part of the factory with me was on
probation after doing time for smuggling ganja back from Vietnam. He
had to be there. Over thirty years later, I still have scars from the
hot glue.

There are other bad jobs on my resume. Assistant grease monkey, e.g.,
and the one at the little gew gaw factory where I stuffed my right
hand into a table saw one afternoon (you don't get used to that, but
it does feel good when it stops).

It's good to be an artist these days.

>> 1 jicama (ruh-roh... It's a jicama, with a J, I pipe cheerfully and
>> proactively. She searched and searched. "It's not on the list. It
>> should be here between the H's and the K's, but it's not." I guess
>> there weren't any I's. The friendly sacker strikes out, too, so off
>> he trots to the produce section to discover the price. 99 cents, says
>> I, too late.)

>Funny, apparently celery root inspired a similar reaction yesterday.
>That's okay, if I hadn't seen it on tv, I wouldn't have known what
>it was either.
>
>nancy

Right. I really don't expect most folks to recognize a jicama, even
in a grocery store. It was the dully incurious demeanor that
concerned me. Not so much for what it meant for my convenience --
actually that part was fairly amusing, like a rough draft of a comedy
sketch -- but for what it augured for her limited future.

modom