Posted to alt.beer,rec.food.drink.beer
sleurB kciN

Default BJ's and Pizza

In rec.food.drink.beer Lew Bryson > wrote:
> "sleurB kciN" > wrote in message
> <Witzel sez...>
>>> WTF is a "weck" anyway? The thing sounds like a backwater town in
>>> England.

>> "Drei im Weck, bitte" will get you 3 little Nuernberger
>> wursties in a hardish, roundish roll. In N-berg, anyway.

> Ah ha... "weck" is, properly, 'weck, as in short for "kümmelweck," a roll
> with caraway seeds (and a bunch of salt). This clears things up a bit more,
> Nick.

Interessant. I'd imagined that there must be some Kraut
connection between weck and Weck, but bless me, my dino-
newsreader can't parse which umlauted letter K?mmelweck sports.
I figure the "Weck" I know and love (but not too often) is a
fraenkisches word for some sort of bun. Where's Douchebag
Scheidt?

>> Huh...ain't had one since back before I knew from GoodBurger.
>> If ever I'm back in MSP...

> Takes ya back, don't it?

Preferably not this time of year. (Thank you, I'll be here
the whole week!)

>> ObBeer: Youse all raved about the Wintertraum Festbier you
>> found _in situ_, but IIRC, it wasn't vom Fass, but from the
>> bottle. I've found a few wickedly malty Fraenkische Festbiers
>> 'round here, but as Weltenburg isn't in Franken, I'm afraid
>> I'll have to haul it down there to check it out myself. Not
>> that this would necessarily suck, mind, but is the beer really
>> THAT good? ("Youse" here is Lew & other Real Beer Writers.)

> Yes, it was in the bottle. And it was Beaumont who went really nuts about
> it. It WAS good, I've always thought so, but I'd love to try some Frankish
> fests. The one that all had us absolutely raving on our last day was the
> Schlenkerla Lager, the beer Trum makes with unsmoked malt: it picks up its
> smokiness from the remnants in the system, and it's FG. We were sneaking up
> the aisle in the bus and stealing bottles out of the bags of writers who'd
> gone to sleep.

I can't believe how many times I've NOT brought home a few
bottles of this in my backpack before. Then again, I'm a
dim bulb. Travel the world by Flasche:

http://acorn.he.net/~nickb/frankenbock/hellerhelles.jpg

Any ...um... news to report about this particular beer?