Posted to rec.food.equipment
Matthew L. Martin

Default Oven Temperature Standard?

Bert Hyman wrote:
> In "Douglas Reynolds"
> > wrote:
>

>> Anderson noted that an oven's heating elements are either on at full
>> power or off-with no middle ground.

> In this age of cheap semiconductors, why ->don't consumer ovens have
> "proportional controls"?
>
> I'd think that solid-state temperature controls would be cheaper and
> more reliable than the relay switching that's used now.
>
> Or, maybe the newest ones do; our Thermador oven is 5 years old.

I don't know if the controls in my one year old GE wall oven are solid
state or relay, but they certainly appear to be proportional to some
degree. The coils never appear to be fully on except during the self
clean cycle.

Matthew

--
What if you arrived at the fountain of youth, only to find dead toddlers
floating in the pond? -- John O on AFB