Posted to rec.food.equipment
Mike Acord

Default mortar & pestle material

I have a ceramic M&P that I have used for nearly 40 years without a
single problem. It is about 6 inches across, and it wasn't cheap, even
then. My advice is to invest in a good ceramic set, and don't drop it.
Your great grandchildren will still be using it. The best come from
Coors (Yes, the beer people, politics aside.) A Google for coors
ceramics should turn up what you need, but any good laboratory supply
(e.g., van Waters and Rogers) should be able to help as well.
Granite would be a good second choice, and it looks great if you are
serving something like guacamole in it.
Mike Acord