Posted to rec.food.baking
.

Default What mixer would be the minimum you would recommend for cookiedough?

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005, Reg wrote:

> . wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, wrote:
> >
> >>what about a food processor?

> > For cookie dough? I grew up in a house with a stand mixer and no food
> > processor. Not really sure what you can do with a food processor. I
> > thought they were good for slicing, mincing or blending things. Can you
> > use they like a mixer?

> FP's do come with a dough attachment, so they can be used
> to make cookie and bread doughs. I don't. I prefer the mixer
> for these, especially for bread.

I'll probably stick to my stand mixer as well. I guess if all you have is
a food processor it might be worth trying.

> FP's are great for pie doughs however, using the regular
> chopping blade. They do a fine job of cutting in the
> butter/shortening for flaky doughs.

Hmm, maybe I'll give this a try. My wife just got a food processor for
Christmas. Used it to puree raspberries. Worked fairly well; normally I'd
make a compote on the stove. This time I tried making a puree then
straining it to get the seeds out. A lot easier and quicker than making a
compote.

For cutting in butter I like to freeze the butter then use a grater. I
take the little pellets and mix them in the flour until coated then finish
up with a whisk. Works fairly well.

Thanks for the information,
Darrell