Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Mike McGeough

Default Dandelion wine question

miker wrote:
> I used only petals and sepals. Prior to picking the flowers I read
> quite a few opinions about whether to use just petals, etc. and,
> although there were differences of opinion, most people thought it
> didn't matter from what I can recall. I remember tasting both ways
> (just petals, and petals with sepals) by eating them when we were
> picking flowers and not finding any bitterness except with one flower -
> I distinctly remember finding one bitter flower - and then we couldn't
> find any more that tasted bitter.
>
> I should mention that we've never tasted Dandelion wine so don't really
> know what it's supposed to taste like, but I doubt I'll try making it
> again until I do taste some that is reported as good, because it's a
> lot of work even with petals and sepals. Petals only must take forever.
>
> Can you buy Dandelion wine at the stores?

Interesting that the sepals didn't taste as bitter as the wine. Perhaps
there's a bitter substance present which is more soluble in alcohol than
water, and is extracted better during fermentation?

I've had dandelion wine several times over the years, but never found it
exactly enjoyable. No, let's be honest: I thought it was poor to
horrible. But that's just an opinion. I've never been tempted to pick &
clean the vast numbers of flowers necessary for a batch, and I admire
the diligence of those who have done it. To my mind there are many other
easier and better tasting things to make wine out of.

Last year I brought back a bottle of commercial Parsnip (root) Wine from
England. It was a huge disappointment. It was both bitter and very
acidic, and I didn't finish one glass before I dumped out the whole
bottle. It must be an acquired taste.

--
Mike MTM, Cokesbury, NJ, USA

http://www.usenet.com