Nancy Young

Default Things not to forget when cooking

Curly Sue wrote:

> It is true that defrosting a freezer with a hammer and screwdriver
> takes a special kind of talent, akin to a sculptor of valuable stone.
> A sculptor has to know the characteristics of each type of stone. So
> does the freezer-defroster have to "know" the characteristics of the
> types of ice found in a freezer, how the ices change in texture over
> the course of the defrosting process, where to apply a valuable tap,
> when to use a bit more force. The sculptor must be aware of the
> location of faults in the stone, one improperly placed stroke can
> destroy a beautiful work; the sculptor must also know exactly how much
> pressure to apply to achieve the desired effect without breaking off
> the nose. Museums are filled with the sorry results of distracted
> sculptors. So must the freezer-defroster with her tools be
> ever-vigilant that each tap may lead to ruin.

(laughing!) I love it, a poetic turn on defrosting the refrigerator.

> As the mercifully-retired veteran of many successful hammer &
> screwdriver defrostings (I was known as the "Michaelangela of
> Freezers"), I say to you "get a frost-free!"

I hear ya. I learned the hard way. At the most inopportune moment
possible, I chipped away at the ice. PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTT.
Well, I was not only flat broke, I'm not kidding around broke, I had
to pay the apartment complex $50 to have the thing fixed. Luckily
for me, I was meeting my soon to be outlaws the next day. I say
luckily as I had no money for food to offer. Nice.

Well, couple of weeks later, I hear PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTT! NO!!!
I didn't touch it!! For some odd reason, the tire on the bicycle in
the kitchen just gave out.

At any rate, if I see another one of those old refrigerators with the
freezer box built in, it'll be too soon. Piece of crap.

nancy