Posted to alt.food.wine
Ed Rasimus

Default TN: Two Christmas wines

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 03:13:02 GMT, "DPM" > wrote:

>I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday.
>
>To accompany a standing rib roast:
>
>Chateau St. Jean Cinq Cepage 1994 - starting to brick (color reminded me of
>Sangiovese); fruit-driven nose of cherry, plum and currant. Similar on the
>palate, with a little vanilla in the background; tannins completely
>resolved. Fruit, minerals and a touch of forest floor on a long finish. I
>have to say that this was absolutely delightful - balanced and harmonious.
>This would probably hold for another few years, but it seemed at the peak
>right now. Another reminder that I ought to let a few good bottles sleep
>occasionally - I think I drink a lot of these much too young. Downside: I
>paid US$18 for this in the late '90s; now, on sale it's $45-50.

Was it the '94 or '95 that WS cursed as "Wine of the Year"? I recall
picking up a couple of bottles of the '95 at around $30US and then
eight months later finding a bottle on the shelf of a local store for
only $135!

Regretably I drank them in their infancy.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org