Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,alt.food.vegan
Leif Erikson

Default Would you like to be eaten?

ant and dec wrote:

> Martin Willett wrote:
>
>> ant and dec wrote:

>> <snips>

>>> I'd like you to answer this point.
>>>

>> I think you know the answer to that as clearly as I do: pigs are (by
>> quite a distance) the smartest animal I regularly eat, the only thing
>> that comes close is pigeons and since I gave away my shotgun I haven't
>> felt the need to eat any of them.

> I did think that "I'll draw the line just above what I normally eat" was
> the answer. I just thought that you may have another more convincing
> argument, but never mind.

>>> This line of thinking is very often pulled apart as being complete
>>> BS. by both camps. I see some have already pointed this out.
>>>

>> I see. Which part of the argument?

> The BS part.
>
> The porcine hospices? Have you got
>
>> any photographs?

> Ah I see another joke. Ha.....Ha...

>> Like a wet t shirt competition in a stiff easterly breeze.

> I did laugh (really!)

>>> I think you're blurring the realms of hypothesis and reality under
>>> the pretense of a "joke".

>> This evening I'll be blurring the realms of reality with absinthe. But
>> jokes are good too.

> Ah I see another joke. Ha.....Ha...

>>> You claim to observe this moral superiority, yet you can't give any
>>> examples? I think it's a figment of your imagination.
>>>

>> And I think you're being deliberately dense because it suits your
>> cause. Of course vegetarians want and expect to be seen as morally
>> superior, but without asking for it specifically. Can you imagine
>> anybody ever answering the question "did you do that to be seen as
>> morally superior?" in the affirmative? If so please tell me what
>> colour the sky is on your home planet. Of course people do things in
>> order to be seen as better people but equally obviously they will
>> always vehemently deny it. We don't have to believe them.

> It was implicit that you made observations, yet you can't give any
> examples.

Most of the explicit examples of it I've seen are by
former "vegans" who have renounced at least that aspect
of their vegetarianism. Here's one such:
http://www.thevegetariansite.com/ed_nolonger.htm

Most of the rest is exhibited implicitly in the
comments of participants in these newsgroups, among others.