Posted to rec.food.baking
graham

Default Ping Vox Humana

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "graham" > wrote in message
>> > are
>> >
>> > They are suppose to be soft. The OP wanted recipes for soft or gooey
>> > cookies
>> > and that one came to mind because it is especially easy. Did you like
>> > them?
>> >

>> I like the taste but they are not soft and gooey. Perhaps it was my
>> interpretation of the measurements. I weighed both the coconut and the
>> condensed milk as oz rather than floz. Perhaps the latter quantity was a
>> bit low. I reckon I used just slightly more than a half can of the milk.
>> Graham

> That's the problem. Sweetened condensed milk comes in 12 oz cans as I
> recall, the same as in the recipe. You should have used the entire can,
> or
> at least 90% of it. Sometimes it is good to hold out a little of the milk
> and check the consistency. I generally end up using the entire can.

Thanks for confirming that! Mind you, using only half the can had its
benefits: I snacked on the rest!!:-) (One of life's pleasures).
I remember coconut pyramids from my childhood. You might like to try these.
Beat 2 egg whites until stiff. Fold in 5oz of caster sugar (fine, berry
sugar) and 5 oz coconut. Form into about 12 little pyramids and bake at
275F for about 3/4hour until very pale brown. (Pink or green coloring was
often added to the mix - shudder!).

Graham