lea b

Default Pavlova

Daisy wrote:
> Paul Plowman <> wrote:
>

>> I have come across across some exchanges regarding the origins of the
>> Pavlova.
>>
>> Just to clarify things...the cake was invented at the Esplanade
>> Hotel in Perth by head chef Bert Sachse. Some have said the cake was
>> named by the owner of the Esplanade, Harry Nairn...This is not
>> correct.
>>
>> At the time the hotel was owned by the Paxton family, who had
>> recently hosted Pavlova during a visit to Australia. The cake was
>> created in her honour, but was named by Elsie Plowman (nee Paxton).
>>
>> I hope this clarifies the situation.
>>

> Sorry - but this dessert confection definitely originated in New
> Zealand. Where I cannot tell you, but there has been publicity about
> this for some time now and it has been settled.
>
> How about claiming Peter Jackson as an Australian? It would be in
> keeping with Australian attempts to claim anything of world class
> across the Ditch.
>
> And by the way, Russell Crowe is New Zealand born - but you can claim
> him if you like. We certainly don't want him.

Not all Aussies want to claim NZ'ers as their own.
When I read things like "Our Russ", or Aussie band "Split Enz" etc, I want
to hide too - it's wrong.
I was going to point out the Pav. discrepancy also ( although I didn't think
the rivalry *had* been resolved ? )

And as for PJ and Russ, ugh! - you NZ'ers are a scruffy lot now, aren't you
?
( they're all yours !