Posted to alt.beer,rec.food.drink.beer

Default BJ's and Pizza

Lew Bryson wrote:
> "Bill Benzel" > wrote in message news:43ac5c28$0$8452

>>Lew, is there no Jack In The Box advertising in the East???

> If there weren't no movies and TV-vision, or e.coli infections, we wouldn't
> never have heard of Jack in the Box.

"We" in the East USED to have Jack-in-the-Boxes- there was one in Menlo
Park, NJ, across from the mall. First taco I ever saw or ate (circa
1969-70). It was very small, later turned into a Mini-Mac [I think they
called it that, or something similar], a MacDonald's with limited menu
that didn't feature a "eat-in" section- drive-thru or walk-up-and-go only.

The other Jack I remember was on in Elizabeth, NJ -only remember it
because it was used as a landmark and the parking lot as a meeting place
on a first date with local girl- don't recall ever going inside. It was
a rough place- the local tough guys liked to talk mean to the "Clown"
and throw things at him. Now that I think about it, they may have been
the first fast food restaurant I remember with drive-up windows...

As far as eating local specialties outside of the correct geographical
area, I STILL shudder at a "real East Coast style Submarine Sandwich"
(that's what it said on the sign in the window) I had once *somewhere*
in LA. I was living there in 1976 (the Bi-Centennial year- WORST
fireworks display I ever saw- in MacArthur Park. Instead of cries of
"OOOHHHH" or "WWWOOOWWWW", there were groans of disappointment-
"ahhhh".). Anyway, this "sub"- don't remember much about it- there was
probably some sort of meat and cheese- but WHAT does stay in my memory
was the hot dog style roll it was on and the RELISH that was used as
garnish. I can only figure that they once saw a bad Polaroid of a real
sub, saw the lettuce-onion-oil & vinegar and thought, "Oh, that must be
relish"!.

I guess nowadays for an East Coaster that wouldn't be too surprising.
People apparently buy and eat subs at these Subway & Blimpie & Quizno's
places and I go to a lot of Italian places and even they ask "What do
you want on it?"

"WHAT?! It's a sub! It COMES with lettuce-onion-oil & vinegar! If I
ask for a plain pizza, do you ask if I want sauce and cheese on it?"

But I learned to answer the question correctly, because I've been
winding up mayo on subs.

(Note- yeah, I'm in central New Jersey, but we've always called 'em
"subs" around here. I know there's supposed to be a "hoagie" section of
NJ, but I think it's much further south, closer to Philly that most
sources site.)