Posted to rec.food.baking
Cornofstarchy

Default Gourmet Cookies for Christmas

Hello everyone once again! Well, here's my update!

I used the oatmeal raisin cookie mix recipe with some modifications
(cause I wanted to make gourmet chocolate chip cookies). Instead of
adding 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour, I use 2 - 2 1/2 cups. I took out
the raisins (obviously) and substituted them with 1 cup of chocolate
chips. I left out the oats as well and since I don't like cinnamon in my
chocolate chip cookies, I took that out as well. I have yet to try
adding mint (to replace the poppy seed suggestion) but I will next time.
Vanilla extract is not a necessity but I suppose it does make the cookie
sweeter lol. Also, I used canola oil instead of butter. It makes little
to no difference to the outcome of the cookie.

Finally, a tip to all those who are new to making gourmet cookies (the
soft and chewy type) - be aware of a major difference in baking. After
10 - 12 mins of baking, you MUST take out the sheet of cookies. When you
poke the cookies, they will feel as if they are undercooked. They are
NOT undercooked! Do NOT put the sheet of cookies back into the oven (a
mistake I surely will never make again)! Let the cookies cool. After the
cookies cool, they will still feel kinda soft in the middle but the
outer edge would have hardened a bit by then. However, they are fine. I
ate one because the others were turning out to be really hard and
discoverd that the "soft" part is actually the part with lots and lots
of bubbles (that's why it's soft). However, it's well cooked. That's the
tip! Learn from my mistake lol and good luck with your gourmet cookie
baking! ^_^

Oh yea, I forgot to add that all you need is a tiny bit of cookie batter
on the parchment paper. There's no need to drop a huge blob of batter on
the baking sheet. A tiny bit is enough cause the batter will spread
out and flatten out into the cookie shape and size we are all familiar
with. This way, you'll be able to make about 32-40 medium-sized cookies.