Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

Default Life of oil

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005, Rick Mintz wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> A friend gave me her extra deep fryer. I don't deep fry very often.
>
> I wondering...
>
> (1) how long the oil can be kept without refrigeration? (it is a pain to
> drain & clean)
> (2) the preferred type of oil to use?
>
> Rick

You have my sympathies. I have one of those that is about the size of a
bread machine and wasn't very expensive, so it doesn't have a lot of bells
and whistles. It is a pain to empty and to clean. boo, hiss.

"Used oil" (all-ready-been-fried-in) doesn't keep well at all in the
fryer. It should be cleaned out after every use, if you are not using it
for several days in a row or several times a week.

"Clean oil" will keep a long time if the container is closed and has a
good seal.

The premium oil choice is peanut. But any vegetable oil will do. Soybean
is one of the most common. Olive oil will impart a "flavor" to foods
(besides it is *way* too expensive for deep frying - in the US, anyway).

You, also, can use shortening (solid oil), but it will set back up at room
temp.

Elaine, too