Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc
Doctor J. Frink

Default Venison

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 09:35:53 +0000, sarah > wrote:

>Speaking (as it were) of parsnips, does anyone else find that one or two
>of them seem to leave the mouth/tongue/lips slightly numb? I know it's
>in the same family as some rather nasty plants; I just wondered if some
>roots contain a higher concentration of something. Or perhaps it's my
>first food allergy!

I can't say I've experienced any numbness but parsnips do contain toxins
(as lots of veg does), which can cause skin irritation when exposed to
sunlight and possibly upset stomach.

They tend to be in the damaged areas so if you peel the parsnip well and
thoroughly cut out any bruises (if you don't already) it might help.

Frink

--
Doctor J. Frink : 'Rampant Ribald Ringtail'
See his mind here : http://www.cmp.liv.ac.uk/frink/