Posted to rec.food.baking
Rich Hollenbeck

Default Portioning rolls early?

> wrote in message
ups.com...
>I tend to use recipes as a guidline and play with it a bit. If the
> result suits you just note what you did so you can do it again.
>
> I can't really think what an english muffin is - I was thinking about
> "crumpets", the flat round thing you stick in the toaster which is full
> of big holes.
>
> Hopefully you will get some other opinions posted.

According to http://www.worldwidewords.org/topicalwords/tw-cru1.htm, "It is
true that English muffins and crumpets are related things, though neither
should be (or could be) confused with an American muffin, which to British
eyes and taste buds is a sweet-tasting cake. Both muffins and crumpets are
flat discs about three inches across and an inch or so deep, cooked in a pan
or on a griddle. The main difference between them lies in the composition of
the mixture used, which makes muffins feel and taste rather more like bread;
in addition, muffins are baked on both sides, so they must be cut in two
before they can be toasted. With crumpets, the cooking process generates
distinctive deep dimples on one side.
"It's the cultural associations-immediately recognisable to most English
readers-that matter most. Toasting crumpets for tea in front of an open fire
on winter days in the company of parents or friends is an old image of
comfortable, unthreatening middle-class English life of an older period. It's
associated especially with boarding school, and features in school stories
going back more than a century, of which the Harry Potter books are just the
most recent. You can't expect an American youngster to appreciate all these
subtleties, but to remove the potential of doing so is a pity.

"Crumpets have been known for several centuries, though the origin of the
name is obscure. It is first recorded in the modern spelling and sense in
the eighteenth century, though earlier there was something called a crompid
cake, where crompid means curved up or bent into a curve, which is what
usually happens to thin cakes baked on a griddle; the word may be linked to
crumb, crimp and other words from a common Germanic origin."

Yes these have the big holes in them, and it was my experience that with a
wetter dough (almost a batter) I get better holes in the product. They are
the things Eggs Benedicts and Jack-In-The-Box's Extreme Sausage Sandwiches
are served on.