Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.rights.promotion
Dutch

Default The collateral deaths argument and the 'Perfect Solution Fallacy": a false dilemma.

"Derek" > wrote
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 20:55:07 GMT, "Dutch" > wrote:

>>> Vegans don't claim that their lifestyle is the perfect solution
>>> to the killing of animals in food production.

>>Yes, for the most part that is exactly what they believe.

> No.

At the very least they claim that it is "the best" solution, and we know
that categorical statements are dangerous.

You could have just said "strawman" you wordy ****.

>>> Only your straw
>>> vegan claims that so he's easier to demolish. If you're only
>>> capable of dealing with the imaginary vegans inside your
>>> head, you're in the wrong place when trying to deal with the
>>> real vegans in the real World here.

>>Real World vegans display the attitudes and ideas I am attributing to
>>them.

> No, they don't. I've provided examples from various vegan web
> sites and authors discussing the subject at length, and which you
> subsequently snipped away. Repeating your claim that *all*
> vegans refuse to acknowledge them in light of this evidence is
> absurd and an obviously lie on your part.

A couple of sites give cds a passing mention, always in some obscure part of
the site, always to dismiss their importance. Contrast that to the thousands
on veganism extoling it's superiority.

>>> I've shown you comments
>>> from vegan web sites that deal with the problem of CDs, and
>>> once again you've snipped those comments away, only to
>>> proceed with trying to demolish your imaginary vegan again.
>>> That's not good enough, so until you address the real vegan
>>> your criticism of him has to be ignored.

>>The issue of collateral deaths is ignored or trivialized by vegans.

> No, once again, it is not. Try dealing with the arguments put
> forward by the real vegans in the real World instead of those
> imaginary vegans inside your head. It's patently obvious that
> you have no valid complaint against the real vegan until you do.

It's obvious that you're talking through your hat. Did you really think this
tact had merit?

> When or if you finally decide to challenge the real vegan's
> solution to the animal deaths surrounding man's diet, don't
> make the mistake in rejecting veganism on the basis that
> some deaths will still occur after its proposed implementation
> because you'll be invoking the perfect solution fallacy. Like
> I said, you've been wasting your time on this collateral deaths
> issue for years, and it's about time you thought of something
> else to challenge the vegan with apart from fallacies and lies.

Thanks for mentioning the Perfect Solution fallacy, it's very descriptive of
veganism. Vegans think that there is a Perfect Solution to animal death and
suffering in one's diet and they think that veganism is it. What a bunch of
******s.