Leila A.

Default Good Peanut Butter vs. Bad Peanut Butter

Peggy Sullivan > wrote in message >...
> Leila A. wrote:
>
> > The other week hubby bought peanut butter at the Stupidmarket, rather
> > than at the natural foods place I go to that grinds it fresh. After
> > the kids had been eating it for a day or two I thought to check the
> > label. The rule of thumb is, subtract Saturated Fats from Total Fats
> > on the label to get the trans fats (although wouldn't the
> > polyunsaturated fats that are fine also be in there?). The peanut
> > butter said something like 16 g per serving fat, 3 g. saturated fat,
> > so that left 13 grams PER SERVING of unsaturated fats, many of which
> > are hydrogenated.
> >
> > I threw the jar out.
> >

> [snip]
> >
> > Leila
> > (ducking for cover)

> I'm wondering about your calculations. I don't think that
> total fats - saturated fats is equal to trans fats. I think the
> peanut oil in the peanuts is unsaturated and makes up almost all
> of the total fat - saturated fat number you computed.
>
> The Skippy web page: http://www.peanutbutter.com/faq.asp
> referenced previously in this thread states:
>
> "Does Skippy peanut butter contain trans fats?
> By U.S. FDA definition, Skippy peanut butter is a trans-fat free food.
>
> Most commercial peanut butters contain small amounts (typically less than
> 2%) of a partially hydrogenated fat, which prevents oil separation by
> helping the peanut butter "set up" a fat structure. This partially
> hydrogenated fat is almost totally saturated and contains only an
> insignificant trace amount of trans fats. "

Thanks for doing such good research.

However, I wonder how they can say that the partially hydrogenated fat
is "almost totally saturated" and therefore "contains only an
insignificant trace amount of trans fats. "

What I understand is that partially hydrogenated fat is just not good
for you and I avoid it.

I agree that a small amount is not horrible. I don't believe Skippy's
numbers, however.

I'm hoping a better informed person (our in-house nutritionist?
Cindy?) will weigh in on this. Can a partially hydrogenated fat have
"no trans fat"???? Or are the food companies lying because they can?

The label on the supermarket brand PB my husband bought listed, in
this order: Peanuts, dextrose, hydrogenated vegetable oil, (then a
list of other stuff).

It's entirely possible that I overreacted by throwing out that jar.
OTOH, it cost about 3 bucks, maybe.

> I looked for the US FDA definition of trans-fat free and found a page
> about the proposed trans fat labeling rules:
> http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/qatrans2.html
> which states in part:
>
> "Q: Is it possible for a food product to list the amount of trans fat as
> 0 g on the Nutrition Facts panel if the ingredient list indicates that
> it contains "partially hydrogenated vegetable oil?
>
> A: Yes. Food manufacturers are allowed to list amounts of trans fat with
> less than 0.5 gram (1/2 g) as 0 (zero) on the Nutrition Facts panel. As
> a result, consumers may see a few products that list 0 gram trans fat on
> the label, while the ingredient list will have "shortening," "partially
> hydrogenated vegetable oil," or "hydrogenated vegetable oil" on it. This
> means the food contains very small amounts (less than 0.5 g) of trans fat
> per serving."
>
> So my guess is that Skippy has less than 1/2 g of trans fat per serving.
> I can't believe other big brand name peanut butters are that different.
>
> It might be good to avoid even small amounts, but I think that your idea
> that each serving of your peanut butter contained many grams of trans fats
> is way off. I think commercial cookies, crackers, donuts, fried foods and
> margarines are all much more significant sources of trans fats than peanut
> butter in the average american diet.

You are probably right about that, Peggy. And we are therefore mostly
not eating same (although we're not totally strict about it)

Thanks for challenging this. I am not absolutely certain of the truth
on this one. Your research is impressive.

Leila

Yes, Ruth, it's me!!! I do lurk here at times