Posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.rights.promotion
Doug Jones

Default The collateral deaths argument and the 'Perfect Solution Fallacy": a false dilemma.

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:52:45 +0000, Derek >
wrote:

>There's no perfect solution to this problem of the collateral
>deaths found in agriculture, and the vegan's critic is often
>foolishly persuaded to try using this dilemma to his advantage
>when he's run out of valid arguments. He argues;

<snip>
>So, even while animals die during the course of crop
>production, to assume the vegan's solution to this problem
>should be rejected because some part of the problem would
>still exist after it was implemented is specious.

Congratulations. You've just committed the fallacy of "shifting the
goal posts"

I'm particularly struck by your wonderful embrace of the idea that
"accidental" deaths don't count in your moral calculus.

As long as we can say "oops!" or "didn't mean to!" it's perfectly all
right to kill animals. cool.