Posted to rec.food.baking
Dusty Bleher

Default Gourmet Cookies for Christmas

"Cornofstarchy" > wrote in message
news:5yQnf.104653$ki.24399@pd7tw2no...
> Dusty gave a link with a soft cookie recipe. Do you know of any
> others? Maybe one from you secret collection?

Yes. But then it wouldn't be "a secret" anymore...and I'd end up
having to kill you...(;-o)!

http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Co...ealCookies.htm

> Thanks! I will definitely try this out. Have you tried variations
> of this? You know, adding chocolate chips instead of oatmeal, etc.

Instead of oatmeal? No. You can't really do that. The oatmeal is
one of the binders that make it "chewy". It's not a "nugget" of
some ingredient put in there for flavor. You can substitute for the
dried fruit, but that's about it. Some chocolate chips along with
the fruit, or in place of some of it would be just fine.

One of my girls made some once that left out all the fruit, and
substituted it with finely shredded orange peel and chocolate chips.
It was YUMMY!

> I tend to use vegetable oil (cause we usually don't have butter or
> margarine sticks around). Is that bad? =/

Well, not "bad"...but not good either. Look, I don't want to let
this thread degenerate into a discussion of fats & oils and their
dietary impact. It's a field that most folks know squat about and I
don't want to end up sounding like I'm preaching.

But the short, non-dietary version is; it's not clear what
substituting an equivalent amount of oil for the butter, in that
recipe, will do (never tried it). I suspect little or nothing for
the texture, and probably won't improve the taste. If you must
substitute, then do so with vegetable oils. While I love EVOO, I
don't think it would do nice things for your cookie's taste...(:-o)!

Since you're going to be baking, avoid any oil that will breakdown
(by the heat) into transfats. Sun or safflower oil, and the "real"
nut oils, like walnut would be okay. Avoid anything like "Crisco",
margarine, and so on. Those are completely transfat saturated and
should be avoided like the plague.

L8r all,
Dusty