Nexis

Default good charactaristics in a rolling pin

"ben" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am doing more cooking lately and decided I need a rolling pin to "open
> my horizons". What should I look for in a rolling pin. I saw some kind
> of stainless steel one for $25, but my local supermarket has a wooden
> one that looks good for $10. I also so a marble one which was very
> expensive and on the box said it should be put in a freezer so the dough
> wouldn't stick to it which sounds like a pain in the behind. What's
> good in a rolling pin? It seems that the $10 one could do the same thing
> as the $25 so is it just a preference?
>
> I presume a good one should be relatively heavy and not have dough stick
> to it easily. Is that the case with wood?
>
> Thanks all,
> Ben

Here are the things I look for in a rolling pin:
Weight/heft: A heavier rolling pin means less work for you, and will also
produce more even results.
Ease of use: Some people prefer the dowel type pins, others the ones with
stationary handles. It's a matter of preference, and if you have the
opportunity to try them both out, all the better.
Size: You don't want one that is too small, as it will make getting an even
thickness more difficult. You also don't want one that is so large as to
make it unwieldy.
Quality: Some of the cheaper ones, especially the cheaper wooden ones, won't
last as long as a quality pin. The cheap wooden ones, for example, will
split/splinter, which is not something you want, obviously :-)....Unless
you're not getting enough fiber in your diet!

As for sticking, depending on the dough, you can flour the pin (and the
surface you're rolling on) or you can use a rolling pin cover, which is
cloth. I just rub a bit of flour into the wood on mine.
The marble pin, by the way, is excellent if what you'll be using it for is
mostly pastry. If you store it in the freezer, it's not a big deal to keep
it chilled. Being cold gives it an advantage when making things like pie
crust, puff pastry, etc because it will keep the butter from melting, and
that is essential to having the best results with your dough.

kimberly