Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Randy

Default Danny Gaulden's Big Drum Smoker Review

> The pit works great! However, when cooking in cold or windy conditions,
> the pit requires massive amounts of charcoal or coals to keep it going.
> On a nice calm summer day, I can put 10-15 lbs of charcoal in and let
> it go for 3-1/2 hours.

You got that right about temperature and fuel amounts. I built a drum
cooker similar to these but had a door near the bottom for adding coal.
In the Arizona sun on a summer day I could easily do two whole
shoulders with 10 lbs of charcoal. The first time I tried it in the
winter was a humbling experience. I had to make two trips to the store
for more coal. The 30 guests didn't get to eat until about ten that
night and what they got was chopped medium rare pork. -RP