Posted to rec.food.cooking
King's Crown

Default Cooking milk-based soups in a Crock-Pot without curdling

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> nancree wrote:
>> I hope someone can help me on this. I was with a friend who planned a
>> corn chowder in her Crock-Pot. She put the corn and milk, and a
>> little butter in the pot, set it, and off we went on a hike.

> Well there's your problem. You need some sort of broth or stock, not just
> milk.
>
> Several
>> hours. When we came back it had curdled and looked awful. We didn't
>> eat it. Has this happened to any of you? Have you cooked milk=based
>> soup in a Crock-Pot successfully? Any suggestions gratefully
>> accepted.
>> TIA
>> Nancree

> I have made cream soups and cheese soup and veggie-cheese soups in a crock
> pot but *never* without adding water or broth or stock as well as the milk
> or cream. I am assuming she had it set for HIGH, which is a no-no for
> cream
> (milk) soup in any case, crock pot or not. Creamy soups require low and
> slow. And attendance.
>
> I wouldn't hike off (pardon the pun) and leave a crock pot with anything
> in
> it for more than a couple of hours on the HIGH setting. Obviously not all
> crock pots are the same. But all of mine get rather hot on HIGH and I
> rarely use that setting.
>
> Jill

I agree with Jill on the high setting. I only use that when I'm at home to
attend it. I use low if I want to leave and let it do it's work for several
hours. I've not done a lot of milk based things, but the recipes I have
that call for some say to stir it in at the end and then cook for an hour or
so.

Lynne