Posted to alt.food.barbecue
2fatbbq

Default Danny Gaulden's Big Drum Smoker Review

"Mike "Piedmont"" > wrote in message
> MonopTN wrote:
> snip
>> Piedmont,

> snip
>> The pit works great! However, when cooking in cold or windy conditions,
>> the pit requires massive amounts of charcoal or coals to keep it going.
>> On a nice calm summer day, I can put 10-15 lbs of charcoal in and let it
>> go for 3-1/2 hours. That will about perfectly cook chickens or spare
>> ribs. I've even cooked shoulders on this thing. One cold winter day, I
>> cooked chickens and it took 40 lbs of charcoal. Due to there being no
>> insulation, and little mass to regulate temp, the fluctuations and heat
>> loss can be extreme.
>>

> snip
>> MonopTN

> A big difference in cooking times from what Rocky says it will do, I think
> your times would be more credible. The one thing that I've learned is that
> if you cook a lot, insulation is a must have option in order to conserve
> heat and therefore save on charcoal costs.

Just for the record Monop TN is not cooking on one of Rockys cookers--have
known more than one owner of the BDS that regularly will cook 2 briskets on
10lb or so of charcoal with no reloading! Circumstances have benn bad so
haven't had a chance to even finish unpacking my bds but it will replace at
least one WSM at contests for us.

Won't get into the posting of the the review by Rocky but there probably
isn't more than a couple folks in the country that have any better
"bonafides" in BBQ circles than Danny G-----what he says I will take to the
bank!
and of course as always ymmv

--