Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mike \Piedmont\

Default Danny Gaulden's Big Drum Smoker Review

MonopTN wrote:
snip
> Piedmont,

snip
> The pit works great! However, when cooking in cold or windy conditions,
> the pit requires massive amounts of charcoal or coals to keep it going.
> On a nice calm summer day, I can put 10-15 lbs of charcoal in and let
> it go for 3-1/2 hours. That will about perfectly cook chickens or spare
> ribs. I've even cooked shoulders on this thing. One cold winter day, I
> cooked chickens and it took 40 lbs of charcoal. Due to there being no
> insulation, and little mass to regulate temp, the fluctuations and heat
> loss can be extreme.

snip
> MonopTN

A big difference in cooking times from what Rocky says it will do, I
think your times would be more credible. The one thing that I've learned
is that if you cook a lot, insulation is a must have option in order to
conserve heat and therefore save on charcoal costs.

Regards,

Piedmont