Posted to alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
Glorfindel

Default wife swap vegan episode

usual suspect wrote:

Glorfindel wrote:

>>> Ipse dixit. I'm not entirely surprised someone who pretends to be so
>>> tolerant is so intolerant,

>> Why is this intolerant?

> Because, yet again, you've chosen to see things as "what Glorfindel believes
> is good" and everything else is "bad."

Ipse dixit. Nowhere did I suggest that.

> There are many protestant
> charities and relief organizations acting with great compassion for
> humans, and many protestants, individually and corporately, are very
> concerned about the environment and animal welfare.

But which ones espouse a specifically Calvinist theological position?

You've clearly said that good works are irrelevant -- a sort of
mindless spasm resulting from a predestined salvation which have
no relationship to the humans doing them at all. They are all
"Christ's work". So why bother? You've said we have no real need
to see the environment as God's; it's made for humans and we can
do anything we want with it. So why bother with environmentalism?
Calvinists believe humans are predestined to salvation or damnation,
and, historically, Calvinists have seen people like the robber barons
and the good New England Calvinists who stole the native people's
land in Hawaii as demonstrating that they were among the "saved"
because they had achieved material prosperity. St. Francis, St Claire,
and the other religious orders saw voluntary poverty and giving to
others as good. That's part of the difference between Calvinist and
non-Calvinist mindsets.