Posted to la.eats,rec.food.cooking

Default Where to Buy Fresh Truffles Near the Valley

Thanks JJ,

Unfortunately, Oregon white truffles pose the same problem as the
Italian variety: I have to order them online.

What I'm looking for is the convenience of a good gourmet deli in the
valley, where I can buy cheeses, infused oils, olives, hams, and of
course, fresh truffles. My local Whole Foods carried Oregon black
truffles, but the white ones were way too expensive, so they never
ordered any. Since I was looking for Italian truffles, and I could
order the Oregon variety online if I wanted to, I didn't bother placing
a special order. Also, while I don't want to get into a debate about
whether Italian white truffles are better than Oregon white truffles --
I'm sure that each has its unique qualities -- I would really prefer to
find the "real deal" (i.e., from Piedmont, Italy).

Nonetheless, since you brought up Oregon white truffles, does their
taste and aroma bear any similarity to the Italian variety? I would
expect not, since they are different species and are grown in different
habitats.

Regards,
Alex