Posted to alt.food.vegan,talk.politics.animals,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
Glorfindel

Default wife swap vegan episode

usual suspect wrote:

Glorfindel admitted she was wrong:

Yes, Usual -- I am willing to do that when I am convinced
I *am* wrong on a particular point. That's being honest
and listening to other posters. Why do you react as if
it is a weakness? Why do you dishonestly suggest it means
I am wrong, or admit I am wrong, on any other point of the
discussion? This isn't, or shouldn't be, a form of warfare
in which posters refuse to concede an inch and hold their
battleline down to the last casualty. It should be an
exchange of information and opinions. Have you never
admitted you were wrong on a point? Or are you only afraid to
do it on Usenet because you know the other posters will rip
you apart if you do?

>> I'll go with St. Francis in calling animals brothers and sisters

> He was wrong about that, and his friars abused that same passage in the
> same manner you do. Why don't you instead follow *Christ*?

St. Francis followed Christ, and I see him also as a role model of
Christian behavior. I wish I could be more like him. I gather
you don't have any interest in the saints as examples for us. I
do. I am, after all, a Catholic, not a Calvinist. St. Francis is my
favorite saint, for many reasons, but especially for his humility,
voluntary poverty, and ideas about the natural world and animals.
He is, as I'm sure you know, the patron saint of animals and of
the environment. He preached *to* the animals, he brought peace
between the townspeople and a wolf threatening their flocks,
echoing the idea of the lion lying down with the lamb through the
stewardship of godly humans, and he chastised the church hierarchy
for its riches and its indifference to the poor and oppressed.
He was an early example of the ecology-minded, pro-animal, social-
activist Catholic Christian. There are Franciscan religious in
both the Roman and the Anglican denomination today.

Apropos of the season, he is also credited with creating the first
Christmas creche, AFAIK.