Scott

Default Good Peanut Butter vs. Bad Peanut Butter

In article >,
(Leila A.) wrote:

> The other week hubby bought peanut butter at the Stupidmarket, rather
> than at the natural foods place I go to that grinds it fresh. After
> the kids had been eating it for a day or two I thought to check the
> label. The rule of thumb is, subtract Saturated Fats from Total Fats
> on the label to get the trans fats (although wouldn't the
> polyunsaturated fats that are fine also be in there?). The peanut
> butter said something like 16 g per serving fat, 3 g. saturated fat,
> so that left 13 grams PER SERVING of unsaturated fats, many of which
> are hydrogenated.

Go by the ingredients, also. There are supermarket brands without
partially hydrogenated fats added.
Don't forget, there're also monounsaturated fats; peanut butter should
contain something like 75-80% mono- and polyunsaturated fats. If you did
your calculation with a peanut butter that just contained peanuts and
salt, you'd come up with a big number for non-saturated fats, none of
which should (naturally) be trans-fats.

please mail OT responses only