Posted to alt.food.vegan
Joe

Default It's been fun

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 16:41:05 GMT, "S. Maizlich"
> wrote:

>In some sense, although less of a sense than in the
>U.S., Canadians *do* approve of this. Canada is a
>modern democracy, and your judges are not imposed on
>you by some autocrat whom you didn't elect.
>
>The sense in which Canadians didn't necessarily approve
>of this outcome is that Canadians are just
>characteristically more accepting of Big Government
>than are Americans. There a stronger sense up there
>that if the state (executive/legislative/judicial)
>decides something it must be right, because They Know
>What's Best. In the U.S., there's a much stronger
>streak of "throw the ****ers out!"

Sorry, but.....
No, there is NO general approval of this absurdity of justice here in
Canada. Lethargic outrage at best against the idiocy of of a foolhardy
criminal justice system that rarely sways from its 'old British' nutty
attitude regarding this 'deal with the devil'. More public hatred was
focused on Paul Bernardo [with calls for a return to capital
punishment outside his trial]. The husband/wife serial killer duo
phenomenom is an oddity up in Canada compared to such frequencies seen
in the States. On that token some public[ignorant] leeway gave into
not condemning Homolka as much [ particulrly after seeing a publicized
photo of her battered face from Bernardo in a fit of rage] and some
yielding was made in getting any deal possible that would seal the
fate of Bernardo seeing as at the time the irrefutable damning
evidence in the form of Bernardo's video of his crimes was kept hidden
by his lawyer [ who for his part got a slap on the wrist].

So, no there is no acceptance of the deal and its ludicrous dispensing
of justice, but there is a general acceptance that getting Canada's
criminal justice system to be re-idesign itself into something less
aloof and act as a system for the people IS definately like beating
one's head against a wall. The few major changes by the Canadian
justice system swayed by outraged people up here in recent times, was
increasing prison time for murderous young offenders, and getting rid
of the 'drunk' defence lawyers loved to use; 'It wasn't MY fault I
commited the crime [ie, manslaughter/drunken homidice]- I was drunk.'

And remember the general reputation too in the States where many a
time dangerous offenders[repeat too]/killers are released, and sooner
or later this process costs more innocent victims' lives.