Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Default shelf life of grits

Jude wrote:
> i don't see what cvould go bad in a box of grits. most grains are good
> for a long time.

The company may have had problems with insect infestation... I would
suggest removing such products to a sealed glass/metal container as
soon as brought home.

> Have you noticed that they're putting expiration dates on water now?

Bottled water definitely spoils, it's no different than your own tap
water, bacteria levels increase over time to where it's no longer
potable. Most bottled water is not sterile. Even bottled distilled
water is typically not sterile. Even if you specifically buy sterile
distilled bottled water it will have an expiration date because of how
it is packaged, only if hermetically sealed (like water on life boats)
can it have a long shelf life, and even then it will go bad after say
five years or so and needs to be replaced. Even sterile medical saline
solution expires, anyone who wears contact lenses knows this. Why
would you think water doesn't spoil... water is not vodka.

Sheldon Eternity