Bob (this one)

Default Whole Wheat Pasta

Katra wrote:

> In article >,
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote:
>

>>Katra wrote:
>>

>>>In article > ,
>>> "Peter Aitken" > wrote:

> <snipped for brevity>

>>>That I have to agree with... I'd personally never cook more pasta than I
>>>had sauce to go with, and my mom always added the pre-cooked pasta to
>>>the sauce in a pan prior to serving, and I also like it that way.
>>>
>>>Different tastes for different folks tho'. :-)

>>Pasta cooked al dente and finished with butter like that will hold
>>very well refrigerated dry and covered. Reheat by dropping it into hot
>>(not boiling) water for maybe 30 seconds and finish as usual. You'll
>>be surprised. Or heat a sauce and drop the cold pasta in for a minute
>>or two. Serve.

> Sounds good. :-)
>
> Any hints on any special prep for the alternative (wheat free) pastas?
> DeBohls corn pasta is easier to cook and tends to stay firmer than the
> rice pasta. The rice can get a bit tricky on the timing.
>
> The corn elbow noodles are wunnerful.

I like the corn better, too. Texture of the rice pasta is off just
enough that it's not what I want when I think pasta.

You might want to look at some of the other pastas made from bean and
other flours. Asian markets are usually treasure troves for such things.

I treat the wheat-free pastas the same as the durum-wheat types. But I
do drain them more fully because it's my sense that they soften more
if left too wet. Toss in melted butter and finish. I've generally
served them with cream sauces (cream, roasted garlic puree, seasoned
salt, reduced to 1/2) or meat glazes (with a wonderful venison ragout
last time). Made baked elbows and cheese once with corn pasta and
didn't really like it. The "bite" was wrong.

Also served them with butter and parmesan. Good enough that way, I think.

Pastorio