scott123 scott123 is offline
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by levelwave
Any of you guys ever cooked a pork tenderloin wrapped in Bacon? What
I'm after is a tenderloin that is completely wrapped in crisp bacon, so
when cut into medallions, each medallion has a ring of bacon around it.
I'm afraid if I just pop it in the oven, it will take too long to get
the bacon crisp and risk overcooking the tenderloin. I'm toying around
with different methods and here's what I've come up with...

1. Sear tenderloin on all sides, remove from heat, wrap in bacon, place
back in pan until bacon begins to crisp up a bit, then pop it in the
oven

2. Skip searing tenderloin, wrap in bacon, then sear, then pop in oven

3. Skip the fry pan altogether and just cook the whole damned thing in
the oven

#2 sounds like it may work best, but I'm afraid that without first
searing the tenderloin, i'll wind up with nasty gray looking pork
underneath the bacon... plus the seared surface tastes good.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

~john
It really depends on what temperature you're roasting at. With a high enough roasting temp you can recreate the exact same effect as a pre-sear (#2).

This is a tricky dish. The bacon requires some intense heat to crisp up but with that kind of heat, the lean tenderloin can overcook pretty easily on you. I'd go with #3 with a very high heat (500 degrees) and a probe thermometer to tell you when the tenderloin is done. It's going to have some pretty heavy duty carryover cooking at that oven temp, so I'd take it out 10-15 degrees before the temp you want.

This is really a job for a deep fryer If I were making this, I'd pound the tenderloin completely flat, lay a thin layer of bacon on it, roll it, slice it into individual portions, dreg in flour and deep fry. With a cut of meat as lean as tenderloin, that's the only way to go.